Schubertiade 2018 - Liza Ferschtman - Harriet Krijgh - Aleksandar Madzar
25.03.2018 | 11:00 | Markus-Sittikus-Saal
Liza Ferschtman - Violine
Harriet Krijgh - Violoncello
Aleksandar Madžar - Klavier
Dates March 2018
Dates March 2018
JOHANNES BRAHMS (1833–1897)
Cellosonate e-Moll, op. 38
Allegro non troppo
Allegretto quasi menuetto
Violinsonate G-Dur, op. 78
Vivace ma non troppo
Allegro molto moderato
– Pause –
Sechs Klavierstücke, op. 118
Intermezzo: Allegro non assai, ma
Intermezzo: Andante teneramente
Ballade: Allegro energico
Intermezzo: Allegretto un poco agitato
Intermezzo: Andante, largo e mesto
Klaviertrio c-Moll, op. 101
Finale: Allegro molto
After a break of 15 years, the Schubertiade returned to Hohenems in 2005, with a small number of concerts taking place in the spring and fall in addition to the Schwarzenberg events. Again, this decision was closely connected with the availability of a suitable venue, to be found in the form of a multi-purpose hall, which was built in 1913 by architect Hanns Kornberger and used as a gymnasium for more than 90 years.
Renting it long-term and seeing to its thorough renovation, the Schubertiade turned the historical building into an excellent concert hall, naming it after one of Hohenems’ most famous citizens, Count Markus Sittikus (1574–1619), who became Prince Archbishop of Salzburg in 1612 and will, above all, be remembered for enriching the cityscape with the cathedral and Hellbrunn Castle, as well as laying the foundation for Salzburg’s great operatic tradition by presiding over the very first performance of Monteverdi’s L’Orfeo outside of Italy.
Seating nearly 300 people, the Markus Sittikus Hall constitutes a »dreamlike venue for chamber music« (Heinrich Schiff) and lieder recitals, of which more than 100 have already taken place since 2005. Arousing admiration among artists and critics with its superb acoustics and furnishing, the hall also provides exhibition rooms on the first floor, an ample forecourt with a great view of the Schlossberg and a straggly garden which comprises a natural open air theatre and represents the last untilled piece of the former comital parks.
Thanks to its excellent acoustics, the hall is an ideal recording location and has been rented for CD productions by fra bernardo (Concerto Stella Matutina: »Trombett- undt musikalischer Taffeldienst«) and Decca (Andreas Scholl and Tamar Halperin: »Wanderer«) in 2011/12.